YOUNGS'TOWN. The eounty-seat of Ma honing County, Olno, 67 miles east by south of Cleveland, on the Mahoning River, and on the Pennsylvania, the Erie, the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern. the Baltimore and Ohio, and other railroads (Map: Ohio, .T 3). It is at tractively situated on both banks of the Maho Ding River. Among the features of interest are the parks, including Mill Creek (400 acres), Mora, and Wick, and the Market Street steel via duct. The Reuben McMillan Free Library con tains about 20,000 volumes. other prominent ii-stitutions are the Children's Home :Ind the hula honing Valley and City hospitals. The Fed eral building, county court-house, Young Men's Cori-tian Association building, and the Park TI eat re are the most noteworthy structures of the city. Youngstown is primarily an industrial centre. its various establishments, in the census year 1900- having an invested capital of $22, 360.09i. and output valued at $31.801.101. A rolling mill was erected here in 1815, and a furnace in 1816, and the city is still noted for its extensive manufacture of iron and steel and foundry and machine products. There are also hurdler and planing mills, carriage and wagon factories, and manufactories of roofing material, iron and steel pipe, oilcloth, bridge work, etc.
The government is vested in a mayor, chosen biennially, and a council. The city solicitor, treasurer, auditor, and the board of public ser vice are elected by popular vote. The board of public safety is appointed by the mayor subject to the confirmation of the council, or if the coun cil fails to agree to the mayor's appointments, the board is appointed by the Governor of the State. The minor boards are appointed by the mayor. For maintenance and operation the city spends annually about $410,000, the principal items being: Schools, $145,000; police depart ment, $44.000; fire department. $35,000; interest on debt, $33,000: streets. $29,000; water-works, $25.000; and municipal lighting, $24.000. The water-works, which represent an expenditure of $735,209, are owned by the municipality. In 1797 John Young made the first settlement here, and in the following year secured a title to the land from the Connecticut Land Company. Youngstown became the countv-seat in 1876. Population, in 1890, 33,220; in 1900, 44.885.