KERRY. Mountain ridges, bounding val leys of greater or less width, form the distin . .
pushing features over the greater part of this Irish county. The whole coast line, from the Shannon to the Kenmore, contains many good harbours, of which that of Valentia might be made of high commercial value. The roads in the south-western parts of Kerry up to the year 1820 were scarcely passable for wheel carriages, and there are some parts of the coast between Kenmare and Cahirciveen still inaccessible, except on foot or horseback. But great exertions have been made to esta blish good roads across the county ; and these roads have been very instrumental in develop ing the resources of the district. The moun tains of Glanbehy abound with iron-ore, which was formerly smelted in considerable quanti ties at Blackstones, in works erected by Sir William Petty ; but, the supply of timber having failed, these works were given up about the year 1750. Iron has been worked in
other parts, and copper and lead also exist in the county. The slate quarry in Wends, produces flags and slates to a large amount ; the flagging, which is of a very superior de scription, is transported to London.
Cider is made in the county in considerable quantity. The chief trade consists in exports of agricultural produce, chiefly oats and butter. The manufacture of linen is carried on with some activity in tho neighbourhood of Dingle. There is also a general manufacture of coarse woollens throughout the county for home con sumption. Fishing is carried on extensively on tho coasts.
Situated in the south-west corner of Ireland, itmay yet be a long time before Kerry rises into commercial importance ; it has however' many of the requisite elements, when more propitious days for Ireland shall arrive.