The British Baizai district is a bay about 20 miles long and 12 miles broad, which runs into the hills between the Paja and 3falakhand ranges at the extreme N.W. of the Yusufzai division of the Peshawur district. It is inhabited by Baizai, Swati, Utman Khel, and Kluttak, with some Mohmand, Rowanri, etc. The last of these claim to be Pathans, and there is no great family of khans in Baizai. On the filth and 14th Decem ber 1849, Colonel Bradshaw led an expedition against those in British territory, in which he attacked and destroyed the villages of Sangao in British Balza', and Pali Zormandai and Sherkhana in Swat Baizai.
The Baizai division of Swat is south of the Mora range and north of Lunkhor. It is called Sam Baizai, to distinguish it from Baizai in the Swat valley, and comprises the villages of Pali, Sherkhana, Jalalpur, Zormandai, Bazdatsa, and Mora Banda, each with its separate khan.
Gujar herdsmen are in hamlets scattered over the Mora mountain.
The Osman Khel or Utman Khel are a Pathan tribe who occupy the hills north of Peshawur, between the Mohmand and Ranizai, on both sides of the Swat river, from the Koh-i-Mora to the Khanora mountain. They are descendants of Utman Baba, who accompanied Mahmud of Ghazni on his expedition into Hindustan in the year 997, and settled in this country. They have five khel or sections, descendants from his fivo sons. They are a powerful tribe, and, accordino. to Turner, can muster 17,000 fighting men ; Mount stuart Elphinstone says 10,000, and Bellew 5000. Their country is very hilly generally. They are all at feud with the people of Bajawar ; in 1827 and 1850 they engaged the Mohmands. They are a tall, stout, and fair race, are sober but uncivil ised, and have frequent quarrels amongst them selves. At first they gave much trouble to the British frontier, and in 1852 afforded an asylum to and aided the fugitive Khan of Tangi ; on 'which a force under Sir Colin Campbell pro ceeded against them in May, and their principal villages, Pranghar and Nawadand, were taken and destroyed after a determined resistance. Since then the Utman Khel have never given any trouble.
The Utman Khel or clan who inhabit the northern portion of the Baizai division of Yusuf zai are probably a section of the above tribe. They have three clans,—Ismail, Daulat, and Seh sada. Their villages are strongly situated in the nooks and corners of spurs running down front the Paja and Mora ridges, and the people are as wild as the hills they inhabit. Their conduct has been, on the whole, more consistently mulish and refractory than that of any other village along the whole border from Abbottabad to Jacobabad. They began to give trouble in 1847, and up to 1872 they continued in it. In 1849 a force under Colonel Bradshaw destroyed the villagb of Sangao belonging to the Dawat Khel. In 1855 the same village was fined Rs. 200, on account of some robberies and molestation of travellers, and the village was removed from its hill position, and its two sections located respectively in the more accessible villages of Pipal and 3lian Khel; but during the troubles of the mutiny they crept back again. In 1859 they sheltered some criminals,
and opposed the attempt made to seize them. In 1863 six of their villages furnished men to oppose the British force which was sent on the Ambela campaign, and they were fined Rs. 2500 ; after which they were disturbed by intestine factions, with regular fights on the 21st August, 25th and 29th September, 3d and 21st October 1864, in which the British did not interfere. In November and December Lieutenant Ommaney unsuccess fully endeavoured to induce them to make peace; but in February 1865 Captain Monro was more successful, and fines were imposed. In 1865 quarrels broke out afresh among them, and on the 16th January 1866 a force of 4000 men and 12 guns, under Brigadier - General Beresford, C.B., was sent amongst them. The villages of Mian Khel and Sangao, and other villages, were destroyed, and new sites fixed for them. In 1872, however, some of the clans evacuated the villages of Kui, Barmul, and Mian Khan, and as they refused to return or to obey the authorities, the houses of the Kui ringleaders were pulled down.
The Ranizai are a subdivision of the Baizai Akozai division of the Yusufzai clan. The country they inhabit is divided into the Sam Ranizai and Bar or Swat Ranizai. The latter is the lowest or most westerly part of the Swat valley, in which they have thirty-five villages. Sam Ranizai is an extensive district, stretching over the Totai Hills, and includes the whole of the lower end of the Swat valley, in which there are about thirty khel or clans. On the annexation of the Panjab in 1849, it was found that the Sam Ranizai country was being made a refuge for malcontent criminals of every description, who periodically made raids on British territory. In 1852 the Ranizai Swati attacked a detachment of the Guide Corps, and a force under Sir Colin Campbell was marched to their village, on which the Ranizai maliks of Shahkot submitted, were fined Rs. 5000, and gave ten hostages. The force then marched towards the British territory ; but as the Ranizai refused to pay the fine, and repudiated the hostages, whose families they expelled from their territory, on the 18th May Sir Colin returned to Shahkot, and found his force opposed by about 4000 infantry and 500 cavalry, all from Swat, in addition to the armed villagers. The king and the akhund of Swat had stationed themselves on the crest of the Malakand pass to witness the fight. After a slight resist ance, the Swat troops broke and fled, leaving 300 of their number dead on the field. The village and its granaries were then destroyed, and from the 20th to 24th twelve other villages were similarly destroyed, and the British force returned through Lunkhor to Gujargarhi. In June they tendered submission, and all that was required of them was to behave peaceably. Since that time the Ranizai people have fulfilled all their engagements, and have evinced an anxiety to maintain peace.